TygerKrane's Sema-Seminar

links and discussion on trading-related learning resources

Moderator: moderators

bacoazul

Postby bacoazul » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:17 am

TygerKrane wrote:
newschool wrote:Tyger, you do know that the semas are simply based on previous highs/lows ?
I don't think its enough to get a certain edge, well not in Forex, perhaps in stocks you could have a few %.

Hey newschool,
FINALLY! Someone with some ANSWERS around here...
Yeah, I do realize that about breaking previous high/lows; but can you explain what it is that makes 3 as opposed to 2 or a 1 show up?
>And I already know that '1' is just a '1'; a '2' is actually a '2' and a '1'; and a '3' is actually a '3' and a '2' and a '1'.<

So if you could give me more info from there, I'd be glad to know what makes one show up over the other. Like on an H1 chart, 3 Sema is definitely not based on dailyhigh/low.

newschool wrote:My question leads to... did you grow your account with semas ? (more money than what you deposited)

Very funny mister; growing account = more money than I deposited? :o Really? FAScinating!

As for growing my account with Semas? :oops:

That's what WE'RE gonna be finding out: :smt096 :twisted: :smt096

I trust you'll wish me luck in proving you wrong, right? :shock: :smt109 :smt116

But I have mentioned elsewhere that this is all a form of training wheels for me to address my particular weaknesses as a trader, but ultimately to give me a better understanding of what I have been studying here at Kreslik. :smt032

Forex is Makoto??? wow i didn't know that, i tought maybe Ryu because you know, he wins like 95% of the time.

The 1 is high/low of 5 bars back, 2 is 13, 3 is 34
These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

johnsund

Postby johnsund » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am

Tyger - the semafor is an indication of a high or low "X" number of bars back. Standard settings are: 1 = 5 bars back; 2 = 13 bars back; 3 = 34 bars back. These are changable. So, if there is a 3 at the top of the chart it means that the price at the top of the bar/wick where the 3 is present is the highest price in the past 34 bars. This is the reason the semafors "repaint" They are an indication that price has hit a high/low for a specific number of bars back and during a given candle that price is on the move and may push the 1, 2 or 3 to its new level. It is NOT an indication of a reversal or anything else that some read into it. Merely the high or low of a certain number of bars back.

TygerKrane

Postby TygerKrane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 pm

bacoazul wrote:Forex is Makoto??? wow i didn't know that, i thought maybe Ryu because you know, he wins like 95% of the time.

LOL!
Actually, in all honesty I don't even play any video games, I just check out gameplay videos on YouTube (the videos made in HD are especially great to find.)
I play no video games until I am successful in Forex; I've cut out most entertainment and really only want my brain and subconscious to constantly work at putting everything together; no mental distractions/diversions.
But I do like the Street Fighter games, and if I was playing now, it would definitely be Juri.
(The last SF I really played was Ex Plus Alpha <looong time ago, but we're the same age so you should know>; my two favorites were Garuda and Hokuto.)

bacoazul wrote:The 1 is high/low of 5 bars back, 2 is 13, 3 is 34

johnsund wrote:Tyger - the semafor is an indication of a high or low "X" number of bars back. Standard settings are: 1 = 5 bars back; 2 = 13 bars back; 3 = 34 bars back. These are changeable. So, if there is a 3 at the top of the chart it means that the price at the top of the bar/wick where the 3 is present is the highest price in the past 34 bars. This is the reason the semafors "repaint" They are an indication that price has hit a high/low for a specific number of bars back and during a given candle that price is on the move and may push the 1, 2 or 3 to its new level. It is NOT an indication of a reversal or anything else that some read into it. Merely the high or low of a certain number of bars back.

So basically, what you guys are telling me here is that when I trade this successfully, it's actually b/c I've learned something ... tacit?? :shock:

Cool! Sounds like the future is already writing itself here as we speak!

{eudamonia: can't thank you enough for giving me that word}

**Krane catches Tyger** !>I'm here to chew bubble gum and make major pips...and I'm all out of bubble gum.<!

bacoazul

Postby bacoazul » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

TygerKrane wrote:
bacoazul wrote:Forex is Makoto??? wow i didn't know that, i thought maybe Ryu because you know, he wins like 95% of the time.

LOL!
Actually, in all honesty I don't even play any video games, I just check out gameplay videos on YouTube (the videos made in HD are especially great to find.)
I play no video games until I am successful in Forex; I've cut out most entertainment and really only want my brain and subconscious to constantly work at putting everything together; no mental distractions/diversions.
But I do like the Street Fighter games, and if I was playing now, it would definitely be Juri.
(The last SF I really played was Ex Plus Alpha <looong time ago, but we're the same age so you should know>; my two favorites were Garuda and Hokuto.)

bacoazul wrote:The 1 is high/low of 5 bars back, 2 is 13, 3 is 34

johnsund wrote:Tyger - the semafor is an indication of a high or low "X" number of bars back. Standard settings are: 1 = 5 bars back; 2 = 13 bars back; 3 = 34 bars back. These are changeable. So, if there is a 3 at the top of the chart it means that the price at the top of the bar/wick where the 3 is present is the highest price in the past 34 bars. This is the reason the semafors "repaint" They are an indication that price has hit a high/low for a specific number of bars back and during a given candle that price is on the move and may push the 1, 2 or 3 to its new level. It is NOT an indication of a reversal or anything else that some read into it. Merely the high or low of a certain number of bars back.

So basically, what you guys are telling me here is that when I trade this successfully, it's actually b/c I've learned something ... tacit?? :shock:

Cool! Sounds like the future is already writing itself here as we speak!

{eudamonia: can't thank you enough for giving me that word}

My were Zangief, it was a beast on ex.
More i trade more i believe that any decent system is very profitable
if you put discipline and 1000000 million hours of watching charts
These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

newschool

Postby newschool » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Money makes money.

If you want to grow a 100$ account to 10k$, you will need an amazing edge. But if you are ok with 1% per week (because you have already a 50k$ account), then your system can be "decent".

TygerKrane

Postby TygerKrane » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 pm

johnsund wrote:Tyger - the semafor is an indication of a high or low "X" number of bars back. Standard settings are: 1 = 5 bars back; 2 = 13 bars back; 3 = 34 bars back. These are changable. So, if there is a 3 at the top of the chart it means that the price at the top of the bar/wick where the 3 is present is the highest price in the past 34 bars.

Ohhh, ok. So when people use the Dynamic Semafor (the one with the trailing dots) the dot first appears when the High/Low of x-bars back was first broken, and then it trails the dots the same number of times as 'x' period and then its stops, being 'locked-in' at that point.

:idea: johnsund :idea: wrote:This is the reason the semafors "repaint" They are an indication that price has hit a high/low for a specific number of bars back and during a given candle that price is on the move and may push the 1, 2 or 3 to its new level. It is NOT an indication of a reversal or anything else that some read into it. Merely the high or low of a certain number of bars back.

Ohhh, ok. So THAT'S why people were always angry and cursing and debating on the forums about the indicator's repainting... They 'had seen the indicator as' / 'were trying to use the indicator as' a reversal indicator...
:shock: :shock: [align=center] :shock: :shock: [/align][align=right] :shock: :shock: [/align] :idea: :idea: :idea: If what you say is true, then Sema's are no more of a reversal indicator than.......say, RAT ZONES are :idea: :idea: :idea:

:twisted: :smt096 :twisted:
I am SOO looking forward to this then!
:smt027 :smt029 :smt027

**Krane catches Tyger** !>I'm here to chew bubble gum and make major pips...and I'm all out of bubble gum.<!

dchappy

Postby dchappy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 am

I have always viewed the semafor as an " area of exhaustion " and not a single point .

Using a " lagging " trigger , gives the semafor time to " settle - down " and confirm a reversal .

( Indicators give an "indication " of something that May or May not happen )

Just my 2 cents .. :lol:

TygerKrane

Postby TygerKrane » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:57 am

dchappy wrote:I have always viewed the semafor as an " area of exhaustion " and not a single point .

Using a " lagging " trigger , gives the semafor time to " settle - down " and confirm a reversal .

That is quite an interesting philosophy, for that purpose, something that lags to go with it seems like a great idea. And I notice you use divergence as well, I think when I first heard of it, I didn't have the patience for it so I moved on.

hmmmm,
this has me thinking:
  • Semas as areas of price exhaustion based on the high/low of x# of candles back.
  • Rat Zone as areas of price exhaustion based on the high/low of the daily candle.

[highlight=#99CC99][font=Andalus][**]Neither of them really being a reversal indicator.[/font][/highlight]
This has become quite the seminar, I must say.

dchappy wrote:( Indicators give an "indication " of something that May or May not happen )

I saw this signature over at FF:
Indicators show the past. Price Action "Indicates" the future.

trueblueTEX

Postby trueblueTEX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 am

and my Bank Balance shows the present...

TygerKrane

Postby TygerKrane » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 am

Are you referring to the Rat Zone not being a reversal indicator, per se?

Return to “learning resources”